National Fire Prevention Week is in October and it is important you and your family stay up to date on fire safety.
In 2019 United States Fire Statistics:
- Fireman line of duty deaths – 50
- 2020 to date – 68
- Civilian deaths from a structure fire – 3,740
- Civilian injuries from a structure fire – 16,600
- Install smoke detectors on every floor, family room, bedrooms, kitchen, and garage.
- Change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year. A good habit is to change them when we change the clocks.
- Check your smoke detector monthly to make sure it is working properly.
FIRE ESCAPE PLAN:
- Have two ways to escape your home in case a fire is blocking your main way out of your home.
- Practice your escape plan monthly.
- Have a meeting place outside of your home where your family will meet.
2020 FIRE SAFETY IS “SERVE UP FIRE SAFETY IN THE KITCHEN”
According to the NFPA, cooking is the #1 cause of home fire and home fire injuries. They also mentioned that unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen. The NFPA came up with some easy to remember tips to protect you, your family, and your home, while in the kitchen:
- STAY – focused on the food. never leave the kitchen when boiling, grilling, or frying
- PUT – a lid on it. Keep a lid nearby when cooking.
- KEEP – cooking areas clear of oven mits, wooden utensils, towels, and food wrappers
- PREVENT – scalds and burns by turning pot handles away from the stove’s edge and keeping hot foods and liquids away from counter edges.
If you experience a fire damage, call the Orion Construction professional crews 24-hours a day at 330-244-9708.