Team up for Fire Safety
October is Fire Prevention Month! The goal of Fire Prevention Month (and week October 6th – 12th) is to raise awareness about fire safety and help ensure your home and family is prepared in the event of an emergency
Most house fires can be prevented. There are simple things you can do as a family to limit the risk of fire. Most home fires are caused by smoking, kitchen accidents, heating systems or electrical problems.
1. If anyone smokes:
- Use heavy, hard to tip ashtrays. Empty them often, when contents are cool.
- Avoid smoking in bedrooms and never smoke in bed.
- Avoid smoking when sleeping or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Smoke alarms:
The sooner you are aware of a fire, the sooner you can escape. Working smoke alarms cut your chances of dying in a house fire in half! Place one smoke alarm on every floor of your home, plus one in or near each bedroom. Smoke rises, so try to install alarms on the ceiling 4 to 12 inches from the wall. If you have very high ceilings, install alarms high on the walls parentheses at least 4 to 12 inches from the ceiling parentheses. Make sure you can safely reach the alarms to test them. Alarm should be 3 feet or more from windows or air ducts.
Stay safe by following the smoke alarm tips:
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
- Replace alarms batteries twice a year.
- Never borrow their battery from the smoke alarm for another use.
- If cooking or steam causes a false alarm, then the fumes away and open the window. Never remove the battery.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from smoke alarms.
- Replace your smoke alarms every 7 to 10 years.
- Heating systems:
- Have your furnace and fireplace is inspected annually.
- Inspect space heaters for wear and tear, especially cords, connectors, and valves.
- Keep combustibles at least 3 feet away from space heaters and fireplaces.
- Use space heaters only when you are awake.
- Use metal or glass fire screens on fireplaces.
- Burn only seasoned firewood in fireplaces.
- In the kitchen:
- Keep appliances clear of grease, food debris, dish towels, packaging, and other flammables.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
- Wear shorts or clothes fitting sleeves when cooking.
- Smother grease fire by turning off the heat and sliding the lid carefully over the pan.
- Don’t use water baking soda or fire extinguishers – they can spread grease fires.
- Close the oven door and turn off the heat to smother fire in the oven or microwave oven.
- Electrical fire safety:
- Instead of plug adapters, choose surge-protecting power strips.
- Never run an extension cord under a rug, across the doorway, or where it might be pinched.
Repair or replace loose or frayed electrical cords or plugs.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets with high wattage appliances.
- Keep combustible clear of heat producing appliances and lamps.
- Use only recommended-wattage light bulbs and lighting fixtures.
- Have a licensed electrician check your home wiring from time to time.
When you have suffered a fire, handling the damages following that fire can be overwhelming the Orion Construction team can help you and your family in caring for your belongings and rebuilding your home.