During this difficult crisis that we are experiencing and we all are staying safe at home, it’s a great time to begin a spring maintenance check of your home. Its always important to walk around your house to make sure that the winter cold weather or storms didn’t do any damage to the outside of your home. Furthermore, you want to make sure that you can prevent any future water, mold or fire disaster by completing the below tips:
Gutters and roof:
- Check for any damage from ice or snow.
- Remove any sticks, leaves or debris that built up over the winter, both from the roof in from the gutters.
- Ensure that downspouts drain away from the foundation and are free of debris as water can cause damage in basements and crawlspaces.
- Winds may have torn up some shingles that will need to be replaced. Take particular attention to shingles surrounding plumbing vents, skylights come and chimneys.
- Test smoke detectors replace batteries, if needed.
- It’s important to have a fire extinguisher in the house. Now is the time to test it and check the expiration date on it.
- Service your AC unit by cleaning coils and changing the interior filters. If needed, hire a professional.
- Clear debris, leaves and branches off your unit.
- If have a sprinkler system, check for leaky valves, expose lines are broken sprinkler heads.
- Check your outside hose faucet for any freeze damage or pipe issues.
- Check outdoor lighting to make sure all sensors are still working and Bob’s don’t need to be replaced.
- Look for cracks in the concrete and make sure exterior slabs drain away from the homes foundation.
- Look for any rotting wood around door frames and windows. Replace and repair as needed.
- Regrade the soil around your home. Fill any low areas in the yard or next to the foundation with compacted soil. Rain can cause yard flooding, which can lead to foundation flooding and damage.
Windows and doors:
- Inspect your windows for signs of leaks and install or replace weather-stripping along the bottoms of the windows were air can look inside.
- Clean any screens you have and make sure you don’t have any holes.
HIRE A RESTORATION CONSTRUCTION COMPANY TO FIX WEATHER DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME
Winter weather can be tough on any residential home. If you notice this spring that you experienced roof damage call the professional crews at Orion Construction. Don’t forget that we are available 24-hours a day if you need to rebuild your home after a water or fire damage! Call us at 330-244-9708. We service homeowners located in Akron, Canton, Alliance, Louisville, Minerva, Stow, Tallmadge, Cuyahoga Falls, Brewster, New Philadelphia, Wooster and surrounding communities.